Adventure 115: The Utah Supreme Court

I recently had the opportunity to get a tour of the Utah Supreme Court. It is housed within the Matheson Courthouse on State Street. I pass this sexy place all the time, and am always impressed by it's exterior. Finally, they allowed me past the front door!


 So impressive.

Okay, a word on entering through security. They were as unfriendly as they are portrayed on TV when a lawyer is rushing to get to court on time. One security guard in particular seemed pretty annoyed by our existence. I was impressed with everyone in the group I was with who just met his eye rolls with courtesy and smiles. He must have had a hard day.


 There is this statue in the lobby of a very busy-looking lawyer.


The ceiling. So pretty.



 Love this building, even though there is really nothing tourist-y to do in it.




And here's my view from the top floor before entering the courtroom. Dude.

Looking up...

...to the side. I see you county building!


And looking down over the rails.



There's even a sign above the door so we know the room we're entering is legit. I felt so important.


The courtroom where it all happens!



Meet Supreme Court Justice Thomas R. Lee. Okay, my first thought was that he's too good-looking to be a Supreme Court Justice. My second thought was that I clearly have prejudices to work through that the courts are creating laws to fight against. Whoa, meta.

He shared a case that went through the courts asking us how we would judge it as he presented summaries from both sides, keeping us in suspense the whole time!

Here's one fun fact I enjoyed: it is common for the attorneys and judges to interrupt each other consistently, and it doesn't even cause the judges to bang their gavels like I imagined it would be when presenting to the Supremes. They so crazy.


Time spent on adventure: 30 minutes
Money spent: $0
Recommendation: 6 out of 10 adventure points!

Comments

  1. My pleasure to read this kind of article. Cheers for sharing this with us. cheap hotel in bangkok

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts