Adventure 100: Jewish Community Center

This was an unexpected adventure. I occasionally drive up by the Huntsman Cancer Center, and when I do I always wonder about the "JCC." What is that? Do you have to be Jewish to go? Is it like a country club for Jews? It says "community center," does that mean the Jews are inviting the community to come learn about them? So many questions. There was only one way to get the answers I needed. This called for an adventure. Having already had a Jewish-themed adventure which gave me a very surface-level understanding of the culture, it gave me the confidence to at least stop in.

Here's what I saw when I pulled through the driveway flanked by trees that hides all of this from the street.

Entering the front door brought me to this big open room with a beautiful sky light, and a wall of south-facing windows.



The man at the desk informed me the JCC is a community center in the same way the YMCA is. It's open to anyone who wants to participate in it's services. He handed me a couple of brochures, free passes and told me I'm welcome to take a self-guided tour. My first stop is the day care. They have a day care.
Going downstairs...

To this beautiful common area with all sorts of art on display.


Wonderful view from the stairwell as I head to the bottom floor.


The basement is where all the fun stuff is. Like this climbing wall.


A bit of an underwhelming gym.


A cafe.

This hallway took me to the pool.




Once I made it back up to the lobby, I started exploring the stairs on the other side of the front desk. They took me to darker corners, with more Hebrew looking artifacts.




There's a dance hall that I'm pretty sure hasn't been utilized since 1964.


What is this, a Holocaust museum? In Salt Lake City? Must explore.


Catalogs of stories of locals who have Holocaust stories. Amazing.





The outside portion was under construction, so I'm not sure what it was supposed to be.


These sparkling rocks were quite striking.




Pretty cool.

Time spent on adventure: 1 hour
Money spent: $0
Recommendation: 6 out of 10 adventure points!


Comments

Popular Posts