Adventure 41: Chabad Square


I like to take walks. One of my favorite areas of town... Sugar House. I stumbled upon Chabad Square on one of these walks. I have been wanting to go to a Jewish Shabbat, but have been hesitant due to the  strong presence of tradition among the Jews. I'm a bit intimidated. I don't want to offend by wearing the wrong thing, saying something offensive, or touching something I'm not supposed to. 


So when I saw this Jewish 'social hall,' I hoped there would be someone I could talk to to get some direction on what to prepare for when attending a Shabbat. Unfortunately the place was dark and empty, though the front doors were unlocked.


So, I took a look around. On the wall was a display of eleven different pamphlets, so I took one of each, as well as 'The Chabad Times' to do some reading on my own.


I did, I read all of them. Here are a few facts I discovered from my reading.

  • There is a great emphasis on prayers and text being written correctly, and often times by an official 'scribe.'
  • Jews were ahead of any other civilization in emphasizing that all in the community be literate, and educated, not just the elite.
  • Studying religious text is encouraged to happen out loud, and with others. This is actually my favorite idea. The idea of sitting quietly and studying that seems to be the mainstream idea is discouraged. The pamphlet I read talked about the enrichment of talking about what you're reading with others in a study hall, and to talk loudly so that everyone within earshot can hear, and will eventually join the discussion. It seems, this would inevitably create a feeling of community, and that all people's ideas are valued. Even when you do read alone, it says, 'read out loud, as though explaining to yourself. Torah has to be alive.'
  • Eating kosher not only means not eating pig, but also no insects, and shellfish.
  • A great emphasis is placed on 'loving your fellow jew.' This idea starts with focusing on your family and those in your community first. Because you cannot truly serve those outside your community until you fully embrace those closest to you. I think this idea is very profound.


  • Fill your house with Torah books. This idea is important because what you place inside your home is what defines it, much like the way you would say, 'pass the picture' when a picture is empty. When it contains water, you say, 'pass the water.'


  • A Shabbat candle is meant to be lit by girls, and women.


  • Jews are encouraged to keep a 'Tzedaka,' a tin box in which coins are kept. The idea is you drop in a coin regularly. When it is full of money, you give it to a worthy cause. The importance is not how much money you give, but that you are teaching your hand to continually give.


I wish I could talk about the meaning of the pictures, and plaques on the walls, but there was no one there to explain them to me, so I just took the pictures, knowing these things are important to the Jews.


This golden display of the 'tree of life' has names inscribed on the golden leaves.


I believe they are names of people who have given money to the community.


And so I came away from Chabad Square with a little better feel for the Jewish faith. I feel a little better prepared to make it to my first Shabbat.


Time spent on adventure: 1 hour
Money spent: $0
Recommendation: 7 out of 10 adventure points!


Comments

Popular Posts