Adventure 113: Sundance Film Festival 2018

Real talk. Sundance Film Festival season usually makes me a little territorial of my town. Who are all of these out-of-towners, and why they all gotta look so fabulous? 

While I've participated in the Sundance Film Festival in years past, attending film screenings in Salt Lake City, I've never gone to Park City to be in the thick of it. In fact, I tend to avoid Park City altogether for the 11 days that is Sundance Film Festival. Well, this year I went to the festival's hub. It actually wasn't as crazy as I thought it'd be. It was one of the last days of the fest, which is maybe why the crowds weren't out of control.

Per the advice of a friend who is a PC local, we parked at the library right off Kimball Junction and took the 20-minute free electric bus to Main street.

This piano is available to play at the bus stop. Park City is so fancy. 


After meandering through the Acura party tent that offered a DJ and free beer at the cost of our names and email addresses, we made our way to Main Street, and of course, stopped to pause outside the iconic Egyptian theater. 


One of the things I love about the shops on Main Street in PC is that there is always the mainstays like the cowboy art and enough turnover to keep me interested, like Sock City. 

The film we saw was actually shown at The Screening Room at the original Sundance Film Festival location...Sundance Ski Resort! It's just a short 45 minute drive through the canyon from PC to the resort. People were still night skiing when we arrived. I loved that, makes the mountain feel alive!


Y'all, the crowds were pretty much non-existent up at the resort. So if you are like me and avoid the festival because of the crowds, this theater is not only a beautiful location but so not stressful.



We stopped in the cafe to have a hot chocolate and enormous white chocolate macadamian nut cookie. The hot chocolate was not great, but the cookie was amazing.




If it hadn't been evening there would have been wonderful Sundance-y sites to be seen on the walk from the ski area to the Screening Room.





The movie we saw the Israeli film "Foxtrot."


The Screening Room carried the charm of the ski resort with the log cabin feeling covered with movie posters.




This film did not have as many viewers as I'm used to at a Sundance screening.


There was a cozy fireplace to sit by while we waiting for the seating to start!


We were very cozy.

The theater never filled up, even after the standby guests were filtered in. Also, no one from the film was in attendance which I was surprised by.


I didn't like the film. Words I would use to describe it...convoluted, trying to hard to be tragic, so many unnecessary long shots of nothing happening and jarring shifts in story-telling styles that didn't make sense. But, what do I know? RogerEbert.com loved it

Time spent on adventure: 10 hours (including travel time)
Money spent: ≈ $25 on food (luckily I have a Sundance connection, so our tickets were covered)
Recommendation: 8 out of 10 adventure points! 

Comments

  1. What a nice adventure and I had a great time with your blog. This is well written. Big thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts