Adventure 60: UMFA

I recently signed up to volunteer at the Utah Museum of Fine Arts, and while there, got to look around. It was delightful.

First of all, when I pulled up, I found this hair that came out of my head. That's a good 2 inches of white on one end. This marks a major day in the life of a red head. Red will turn white eventually. It's started. *sigh*


Okay, on with the museum. It's a beautiful building, right on the University of Utah campus.


With this beautiful sculpture out front to welcome you.


First of all, it is filled with old, and beautiful artifacts. A great variety.



When I started my perusing, I found myself following this group for a while. One of these retired men studied to be a priest for many years, and was spouting out all sorts of interesting facts about the byzantine era, and other things relating to Christian art.


A painting I could stare out for 47 minutes. Sorry, there will be no attributions here, just admirations.


Cool sculpture, right?

I love a piece of art with a sense of humor.


Polynesian historic pieces.


A beautiful table from the 1950's.


A close up of a piece with interesting texture.



I was especially intrigued with this series (which covered the whole wall) of old advertisements with african-americans, with embellishments.




Some pop art.



I love this series paintings of two blocks of color. I can't even explain how much I love them.


You know it's a comprehensive museum when it's got ancient art AND Chuck Close!


I mean... Chuck Close, how does this guy do this? Somehow he does.




My favorite part was this little gem of a room where classes for children are done.


Right now the theme is sustainability.







This amazing piece in the middle of the room is the show-stopper.



Made of surgical masks.


Lot's of hands-on opportunities for the little ones.


A board filled with ideas and information about local farming.




A decorative pillow made from plastic grocery bags.



Time spent on adventure: 2 hours
Money spent: $0 (normal admission is $7)
Recommendation: 7 out of 10 adventure points!




Comments

Popular Posts