Adventure 48: Sala

I happened on this happy place by simply walking by, and realizing I needed to stop in for my lunch. The realization came mainly from hunger.


The interior decor was delightful, if confusing. The art pieces seemed to be prints from American artists, though I did spot a few smaller Thai-looking prints on the wall across the restaurant.


The place was completely dead, which is always good for me, I get the attention of the whole staff! Well... that's what I always hope for. Unfortunately that was not my experience in Sala, but more on that later.


I decided to order something I've never had at a Thai restaurant. There were a few salads that sounded different, so I ordered one that promised to be spicy.


The first few bites were great, then I realized that the salad was about 30% onions. Large slivers of onions. Incidentally, I got a strong splash of fresh onion in almost every bite. This seemed to be the true source of the spice.


At first I liked the difference of experience the salad offered, but it didn't last. I'd like to say I've got a stronger tolerance for strong tasting onions, but my tongue gave out on me where there was this much left.


You may notice over the brim of the bench are two smiling heads. These ladies sat and watched on a laptop what sounded to be a comic, prank-type show in Thai. They were giggling their heads off. I have to say, since I wasn't in a hurry, I sat silently and played on my phone,  amused at their amusement. They even checked on me a couple of times, but didn't bring my check either time though I sat with my salad pushed away from me, and told the young woman I was done.


I finally asked for my check after a good amount of time listening to their giggles. 

I think next time I visit Sala I'll try a more traditional Thai dish I'm used to loving.

Time spent on adventure: 1 hour
Money spent: $18.05 (including tip)
Recommendation: 6 out of 10 adventure points!

Comments

Popular Posts