Adventure 51: Exploring State Street

I took a really long walk down State Street recently, and took a million pictures. I've included a few from that journey here.

Here's one of my favorite things I've been learning since I've been a diligent Salt Lake City adventurer: taking my time at spots where I'd normally zoom past, I am discovering all sorts of things, mainly how clueless I have been of my city.  But also, treasures.

A painted wall.


An old entrance into an apartment complex that may or may not be condemned.


A sculpture on the corner in front of a gas station.



A bus stop that (wait till you see my close up shots) is packed with mysteries.


More sculpture. Why is it here?








A mysteriously religious looking building that, through the window appears to be packed with strange objects all the way up to the windows. Sort of like a storage facility.


The door is locked, and the interior is dark. Boo.


And next to this religious-looking building is a barber shop.



This door is also uncross-able. Mostly because there no door handle.


This rock sits across from it. It must be the name of this art project that stretches for 1/8th of a block.


An interesting frieze above. 


Next, I happened upon the historic state foundry.


With a real metal worker outside.








Though it looked a little beat-up outside, it's still in business, which I didn't realize until a woman came out of the front door right after I passed.




An old hotel.


Near the end of my walk,  passed my architect friend Boyd on the street, who was on his way back from lunch. I was so taken by surprise, I didn't think to snap any pictures. We just happened to be two buildings away from his firm, AXIS. He offered to give me a quick tour, which of course I took him up on. It's a beautiful space!

Time spent on adventure: 2 hours
Money spent: $0
Recommendation: 9 out of 10 adventure points!


Comments

Popular Posts