Adventure 45: K2 The Church

Today I visited the church which I've been curious about for sometime. I drive by the sign "K2 The Church" fairly often, and have wondered what this church was about. It strikes me as such a strange name for a church. 

Well, as it turns out the name has a two-fold meaning. First, it's the 2nd edition of the church it stems from in Kensington, MI (so, abbreviated to, K2). And second, it stands for the idea of adventuring with God, such as one of the most difficult mountains to climb, the K2.


First things first, this church is well attended (and I later found out, very fast growing)! In fact, they use two buildings, which are warehouses converted into meeting halls. When I first pulled in the parking lot, there were cones pointing the way, as well as a handsome man with a big smile and a wave welcoming me to the parking lot. I had to drive through two full lots before I found one across the street with a few open spots.


Second, they share a building with The Rock church. This is where they have their Saturday service. To see my adventure at The Rock Church, click here.


 After the walk though the parking lots, and around the first building, I found my way.


When I first walked in, there was a smiling young woman opening the door and greeting me. This brought me to an area to get coffee, and tables of crafts.  Children were sitting at these tables busy with their colorful pipe cleaners and glue.


The next door brought me into the main room of worship where there was a full band playing quite loudly. Several songs started the service. All rock-type songs that I think may have been original.


The ceiling was high, and though the space was huge, it was filled with sound.


Overall, this church reminded me of my experience with The Rock Church, and Capital Church. There was one major difference. 


They are very committed to taking action, and making a difference in the world. The have several efforts in the community taking place to reach out to those less fortunate. They even have an effort going strong in a country in Africa.


It was stated that 10% of the money taken in will go outside the walls of the church. That money will go to the community, and the world.


The message was that "Everyone matters." David Nelson, the lead pastor gave the message. He was one passionate man.



 He regularly went from tears to shouting praise.


He is a charismatic leader, and I don't doubt his sincerity. He seems to be very passionately committed to his ministry. 



The back of the program gave a list of things to pray for, with dates. I kind of love this idea, scheduling the topics to pray for so that the entire congregation is praying together, though privately for the same purpose.


On a side note, I observed some interesting hair from the congregation.



These cards were on my seat. An opportunity to let myself be known as a fist-timer, and a card that will allow me to give money to the "Everyone Matters" campaign.


I've yet to be a part of a congregation as engaged as the baptist church I visited. But as far as non-baptist churches go, this crowd was pretty full of 'amens.'


Afterwards, people were socializing, which is great to see in a congregation. I like to think that's the idea of coming together for church... to actually come together.



A table announcing some of the ways to get involved beyond Sunday service.




 Children and parents reunite, and we are off after an hour and a half of worship.


Time spent on adventure: 1.5 hours
Money spent: $0
Recommendation: 7 out of 10 adventure points!


Comments

Popular Posts