Adventure 10: The Rock Church

My second in my church series is 'The Rock Church.'

The sense from the website was that it was musical. I wasn't quite sure what to expect, so I listened to Christian pop while I got ready this morning. I gotta say, it sort of got me in the mood to rock out Christian-style.


Also, wasn't sure of the dress code, so to be safe, I wore church clothes, even my fancy stockings.


Even though they have a location in Sugarhouse, their Sandy location is the only one with a Sunday service. It was about a 30 minute drive.

My sister Dyana joined me for this adventure on a windy day. She thinks it's a little weird I have a desire to visit a different church every week, but she good-heartedly allowed me to drag her along. All the more reason this was an adventure! We realized when we pulled up we were seriously over-dressed. The general dress was jeans. Everyone was in jeans! They looked really comfortable.


Upon entering there were several friendly faces, and free coffee. It was very welcoming. I didn't feel out of place at all, even though I probably looked it in my heels.


We arrived 9:30 on the dot, when the service was to begin. There were about 50 people there. But as the music started, more and more filtered in. I'd say there were around 300 people in attendance in all.


There was a handsome young man with a guitar up front who invited us all to stand and sing with him to words that were projected to the sides of the stage. His voice was reminiscent of Gavin Degraw, and sang with a bit more passion than Gavin, if you can imagine that. The three songs we started with were hymns and prayer-songs, but with his guitar and tempo, they all felt modern.


After the songs, came announcements. Among these announcements was the invitation to get baptized. It was just a matter of filling out a form, and all are welcome to be baptized. Also they have no collection plate, just a box at the back of the room if you choose to contribute. It all seemed very unimposing, and welcoming.


Interested in God, but not religion? 


The minister then gave a sermon for about an hour that seemed basic Christian principles of letting God in your life, and doing good to others. He had a really down to earth, unpolished style of address that seemed to fit the vibe of the church. This church did a really good job of projecting the feeling of acceptance, no matter who you are.



 After that, we sang another song, and were done. All in an hour and a half!


Time spent on adventure: 2.5 hours (including travel)
Money spent: $0
Recommendation: 6 out of 10 adventure points!

Comments

  1. Pretty cool adventure. Good on you for venturing outside of your comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It was fun, although I'm still recovering from waking up early on a Sunday...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts