Adventure 6: WSU West

So, I signed up for a free seminar because of this blog. It was something I've never done, so it totally falls within the parameters I've set for my adventures. I've wanted to do something like this, but couldn't  ever convince anyone to come with me. Well, I sucked it up and went by myself. Turns out, it's completely painless. Full disclosure: Weber State University is my alma mater. I occasionally get emails about free seminars that are open to anyone. That's right, anyone. Here's a link to check out some upcoming seminars. So, this was at the WSU 'West Center.' It's in Roy, UT. It took me about 25 minutes to drive from SLC.



It really is what it looks like, it's located right in the middle of a little strip-mall, sandwiched between a salon, and a Domino's pizza. The good thing about this location is you can take a trip to Antelope Island while you're in the area. If you're not convinced it's worth your time yet, just take in the message on this window.


So, this is a free class, right? First thing upon entering the room was a table offering SWAG! Later I would gather several hand-outs, and a planner, no charge. Talk about an abundance of value for the low price of $0.


The seminar was entitled "Make Time for Success" taught by Leslie Loeffel, who is the Director of the  WSU Davis Learning Center. She very kindly promoted my blog to the four other students in class on the white board. We became a tight group pretty quickly. I mean we had a lot in common, we want to make better use of our time, an instant bond for any group of people.


Time management was the theme. While the topics discussed were not necessarily new, they were a good reminder of how important it is to be aware of what I'm spending my time on, and simple ways to manage it better, like getting my blog posts done more effectively. I benefited from it, and appreciate that WSU offers such a service to the community. It's actually pretty cool.


As if the SWAG I had collected wasn't awesome enough, I got a free shirt as I left! Seriously. Okay, I realize that may not be exciting to everyone, but I am an Alumnus, so I dug it.


The seminar was a prudent 1 hour. It was a casual environment of suggested concrete ideas, discussion, and tools given to apply.

Amount of time on adventure: 2 hours (with travel time) 
Money spent: $0
Recommendation: 7 out of 10 adventure points!

Comments

Popular Posts