Adventure 4: Blue Nile

The other day I was having dinner at the taco stand row with some friends in front of the old Sears on State and 800 S, in Salt Lake City. I was shocked to see across the street a large sign announcing, "Ethiopian Cuisine! Try something different!" I had never had Ethiopian food, and did not realize there was such exotic food available for my palette. My friends agreed to go with me sometime in the future.

Well, I was in the area a few days later, and none of my friends were available, so I tried it on my own. The first thing I want to say about this experience is there are no utensils used! Half of the fun of eating this way is that you get to use your fingers, which includes licking them after shoving a delicous morsel in your mouth. No judgement. The flat bread the food is served on is called injera. You're also given a side of the stuff rolled up to use as your sort of scooper-upper of the different hot foods to grab hold of in whatever variety you choose, and then consume. Delightful.


I chose the traditional seating area, which is fun, and you should try it at least once. The downside is I had to hunch over the basket the food was served on. It's probably a little more comfortable to have the food higher up to table level for what an American such as myself is accustomed to. The other downside was the room was a bit echo-ey on the 'traditional side' of the wall, so that the young man pontificating about his friend betraying him in his outside voice sounded like he was using a blow-horn. Heaven only knows how he sounded to his friend sitting across from him.  But it was fun.


Here are some shots of the interior.






I loved this touch in the women's bathroom. Bamboo on the otherwise boring wood door! A nice little surprise for the lady going to clean up before eating with her hands. Also, I really like the framed sculptures on display.




I'd love to spend more time taking it all in next time I eat here, but due to the loud table nearby, my time was relatively short. Overall though, a good, clean time for lunch!

Amount of time on adventure: 30 minutes
Money spent: $13.00 (with tip)
Recommendation: 8 out of 10 adventure points!

Comments

Popular Posts