Adventure 8: Union Station

This Adventure was totally unplanned. I was in Ogden, and saw a marquee that read  'Cowboy Museum." I pulled over immediately!

I wish I wasn't in a time crunch when I made this stop, because this old Union Station is full of treasures. Four museums are inside, a car museum, gun museum, cowboy, railroad, as well as an amazing variety of old trains lining the building to examine and climb. 

I had no idea this place exsisted, and now I really want to take my 6 and 7 year old nephews, they'd love it!



Here's a little plaque on the facade of by the entrance explaining the history behind "Wall Street" in Ogden. Apparently in an attempt to keep the nearby Indians out, the Ogden Pioneers started building a mud wall, which was a portion of what is now Wall Street. A pretty different association than what my mind conjures  when I hear the street name.



The Railroad museum.

Now this is what I call a kiss!




When you're obsessed with spiders, as I am, they seem to pop up everywhere.


Different designs of the steel used on the railroad over the years.







This part is great for kids! There is an actual spans of the old country replicated from the old west of the  train route you can watch through glass displays as you walk this path.







What kid wouldn't want a picture in front this official looking RR car?


The gun museum I didn't have time to explore.



The car museum indicated with a rather prominent neon light. Another site I didn't have time to venture.





Old tracks you can walk on. I loved the feel of the old creaky wood under my feet. I totally felt Pioneer-esque walking down these old tracks. It's pretty amazing to consider all the worked that went into making the railroad happen.






View of old town Ogden, 25th Street from the front of the structure.


As I was leaving the museum, I saw the sign that missed going in. There is actually an admission cost. Their website indicates admission to all 4 museums is a low $5. I totally would have paid if I noticed it before I entered. Oops! When I go back and can actually spend time to look at everything (and I will be going back to show some of the kids in my life this cool spot) I'll give them a tip.

Time spent on adventure: 1 hour
Money spent: $0 (recommended $5)
Recommendation: 7 out of 10 adventure points!


Comments

  1. I've seen the trains but I don't think I've ever been inside. I think I need to change that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts