Adventure 7: Caught in the Rain

There is a hike I recently discovered that is beautiful. Normally this hike wouldn't qualify as an adventure, but as your might have guessed from the title, there was an unexpected twist on this hike, which makes for the best kind of adventure!

This hike is one of the best kept secrets of the area. I say this because every time I'm on this trail I pass from 0 to 4 people, which is especially surprising considering it's in an area with a lot of families. The trailhead is located behind the Bountiful LDS temple, it's the Holbrook Trail. The hike is shaded, has an interesting terrain that includes short inclines followed by short declines, crossing a river several times be it by bridge, rocks, or logs. It's well shaded as well as exposed to the sun throughout. Everything you could ask for in a trail, which is why I'm surprised it's as empty as it is every time I'm there!

So here I am at the beginning, fresh-faced and dry!

I was joined on this hike by my friend Pete, and his daughter, Anina. Yes he carried all 32 lbs of her the whole adventure!




This is a great time to take a hike anywhere in Northern Utah, as the leaves are JUST starting to change. 






About twenty minutes into the hike will bring you above the shaded trail you've been on, to an opening and view of surrounding hills and mountains.



It was about this point that we started to notice small wet spots appear on the dirt path, but we kept going, because you never know in Utah, I mean 53% of the time it's a passing drizzle, right? Well, we put up with that for fifteen more minutes before it was a downpour, and we found refuge under a tree, a little wet.



I'm fascinated by spiders, so my eyes always are always drawn to a web when I see it. Unfortunately, my iPhone camera doesn't do the best job of capturing the detail, but rain drops on a web, and a spider hunched in it's tunnel, probably my favorite site this morning.



We waited until the raindrops sounded less loud, and then made a mad dash back to the trailhead.




Incidentally, the sites on the way back turned out to be even more beautiful. The mist here moved quickly over the tops of the surrounding hills, I sort of felt like an escaped inmate should have emerged from the brush and demanded I bring him some 'vittles.' It didn't happen though, so we just kept going.






One hour from departure, we made it back to the trailhead drenched! At least a couple of us had hair to prevent rain drops from rolling down into our eyes. Poor Pete.


Getting caught in the rain is one of the best unexpected adventures!


Time spent on adventure: 1.5 hours
Money spent: $0
Recommendation: 9 out of 10 adventure points (if you can plan getting caught in the rain, I really recommend it!)

Comments

Popular Posts