Adventure 56: Zion's Evangelical Lutheran Church

The Zion's Evangelical Lutheran Church on Foothill has had my eye for some time. First of all, using the name of Zion automatically has a local reference, plus they have this fancy sign.


Also, the building is quite striking, with it's accents of blue.



I don't know if this is a standard Methodist design, but I find the building quite original, and beautiful.


The chapel was beautiful. I especially liked the hanging lights that looked like fireworks bursting in the sky.



The structure of the service reminded me of my experience at the Methodist church. This service had a children's choir. They all got to bang on a drum, which I bet they loved. There were a delight to watch.


There a large several-page program with the outline of the whole service, include script for the congregation to read out-loud, and music to sing when appropriate. I was less confused than my experience at the Methodist church, probably because I had a rough idea what to expect. Also, the main message seemed to be more clearly stated.


The sermon was given by Rev. Trace Browning, the guest preacher, and presiding minister.

Here are a few highlights from his message:

  • The history of Christianity is steeped in political change, from Jesus to Martin Luther
  • As Christians, we are first citizens in the kingdom of God, and second to our country
  • We may not have to withstand religious persecution, but we are still called to follow Christ


Rev Browning then read a prayer, which included the names of people whom I assume were submitted by members of the congregation. When this was over, he came to the head of the center isle, and said, "Peace of the Lord be with you." The congregation replied with, "and with you." Everyone then reached out to those sitting around them shaking hands, saying this same salutation.


The hymnal, a striking red, and over 800 pages full.


I love seeing a choir in robes. It's a beautiful site.


They also have open communion, which the woman sitting on my bench was kind enough to explain to me, and invite me forward. I declined, but enjoyed watching the ritual happen.

After the service, the same woman introduced herself, and was very kind. She asked me if I was looking for a church. When I told her I had visited the Methodist church, which was very similar and was confused, she agreed at the service is complicated, she herself is convert. She was very pleasant, and talking to her was the highlight of my experience, even though I compared her church to the Methodist church, which I'm sure has very different doctrine. Oops.

Time spent on adventure: 1.5 hours
Money spent: $0
Recommendation: 7 out of 10 adventure points!

Comments

Popular Posts