Adventure 23: First United Methodist Church

My fourth in my church series is the historic First United Methodist Church located right in the heart of downtown on 200 E 200 S.  


This is a church I notice every time I pass it. It's a striking presence surrounded by tall generic buildings.



It boasts the oldest organ pipes in Salt Lake City. 



I have to confess my ignorance. I knew nothing about the Methodist faith before entering the chapel. I noticed from the website that people were dressed in their Sunday best. So, I dressed up in my best, including a blazer. Well, like I discovered in my visit to The Rock Church, I was overdressed.



Of the congregation about the 100 strong, most were in slacks and t-shirts. Due to a railroad accident by my house, I was about 10 minutes late, so that may be part of the reason I was confused most of the time. When arrived, the congregation was standing singing a hymn. The words were projected on a screen, and there was a hymn book to refer to. 



The service then seemed to vary between short messages from the Reverend, and the congregation singing or repeating a verse meant to say, not sing also from the hymn book. There were actually three hymn books we were to refer to during the service, but I only had the one in front of me, so I wasn't able to participate in a few of the hymns sung. I did see a stack of books at the end of the pew, but being a visitor, I didn't want to draw more attention to myself by getting up and rummaging through the books.


There was a short message meant for the children. The children all came to the front and sat on the steps leading up to the stand while a woman came forward with a microphone and addressed them with a message, then prayed with them. Incidentally his was the only time a prayer was said that wasn't read or memorized verse.

There were visitor cards on the pew in front of me to fill out. I could even request a visit from the Reverend to my home. I didn't fill out the card this time, but it was nice to know it was there for me.


The children left with their leaders to another room. The Reverend Eun-Sang Lee then gave what seemed to be his main sermon. The main point of the message seemed to be that we are all broken, the church included. He referenced the scripture of Jesus saying "I am what I am" to support the idea that we are to come as we are, with bruises and all to the church. It is my understanding that most Christian faiths understand that scripture to mean that Jesus was telling the Jews he's "I AM" the God of the old testament. So, that was a difference I noticed. 

John Wesley was spoken of quite a bit as well, who was apparently the founder of the Methodist sect.



There was then a baptism. A special musical number was played while the family came forward to prepare for blessed event.




The baptism was performed with a basin of water, which was rubbed on the baby's head three times.


Reverend Eun-Sang Lee spoke words that were printed in the hymnal for the baptism. He then asked the congregation to turn to the specified page. We were to read certain parts between what he said.

I was especially struck by the Reverend reading the words: "let us pray," then reading the next few lines for the prayer. The prayers are verse in this church. 



After the baptism all the congregation were invited to stand and wish peace to each other. They all did. I didn't participate, but received gratefully the people who came and shook my hand, wishing me peace in Christ. 

After that was the 'open communion.' Everyone was invited to come forward and partake of the bread and wine. I declined, but it seemed everyone else there participated, taking the small piece of bread offered, and dipping it the wine before consuming.

Another song, and words from the reverend, and were were done! All in an hour and a half!
This silver fox greeting the reverend as he left, I caught a piece of the conversation that made me smile, 'I love you! I'm going to make a bobble-head of you!'



And the people filtered out.


Overall I have to say I was confused by my experience with the First United Methodist Church. I didn't come away getting a strong sense of what they are all about. There seems to be casual ritual, that's the best way I can phrase it.

Time spent on adventure: 1.5 hours
Money spent: $0
Recommendation: 6 out of 10 adventure points!

Comments

  1. I love that you are doing this, Deserae! It was good to see you last night!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts