Adventure 25: A Woman Walks Into a Bar

I was recently leaving an event downtown, and wasn't quite ready to go home yet. I remembered that I have been wanting to stop by Zest since I discovered they carry Vive Juicery at the Cancer Killers workshop. I thought a juice would be a nice night-cap for this non-drinker. 

As I was parking a few blocks away preparing for my walk to Zest, I realized I'd be entering a bar alone. I had never done this. Going to a bar to see a band with a few friends was not uncommon in my twenties, but going alone... well this would be a first. Though nervous I knew it would be an adventure, and that got me through the 8 minute walk.

I love little reminders that there are young people doing things like cruising... otherwise there would be no need for a sign like this.


I couldn't resist snapping a few shots on this rainy night. Reflective street lights onto wet streets is a scene that just asking to be painted... since I only had a phone camera, this was my best attempt.


Zest Kitchen & Bar has branded itself as a local, organic place to eat with interesting and original menu items; and hand crafted drinks. Many bars in Salt Lake City have amazing food menus which I love to partake of, it's never bothered me before as a non-drinker, until I approached one after dark alone.




There was a lovely young female musician with a clear high voice singing in the main lounge area which was crowded with 20-somethings.

I was seated in an awkward table open in the middle of a section seperate from the action. But on a crowded night such as this, I suppose I should be grateful to get a table to myself. The table next to me was filled with about a dozen college age looking students. They were quite social, moving about to chat and drink, which made it a bit difficult to get comfortable.


The two Vive Juicery juice's on the menu were the same flavors that were sampled at the workshop, so I opted for one of the freshly squeezed juices made there, OJ with basil. It wasn't bad. It being a chilly night, I ordered the vegan soup for my night cap. It was okay, not the best vegan soup I've had. I forget what the main ingredients were, but it was thick!


Well, after finishing my meal, and  deflecting a couple of advances from men at the bar, I was done. I didn't realize what it would look like to be a woman alone entering a bar until being in there. The trick is to not maintain eye contact of the guy walking past you. I'm used to entering a place alone, but when it turns to night it is a different experience... well at a bar it is.

The walk back to my car afforded me more opportunities for pictures.





This turned out to be my most uncomfortable adventure thus far, it being a first at trying a restaurant, and also a first going to a bar at night alone.

Money spent: $13 (including tip)
Time spent on adventure: 1 hour
Recommendation: 6 out of 10 adventure points! (I don't recommend going alone at night as I did)

Comments

Popular Posts