Adventure 26: Cafe Anh Hong

Confession: I don't like Chinese food.

For some reason it seems un-american to admit this? It's mostly because I have a hard time finding a menu item at any Chinese place I've been to that isn't heavy and leaves me feeling slightly sick from the grease. It's this reason that I avoid it. However, when I stopped to have Korean food and found it was closed, I opted for Cafe Anh Hong next door. It did claim to be the best Chinese food in town!


Cafe Anh Hong is located in a little strip mall on State Street, you know that part of state street that seems to have a Chinese restaurant on every corner. That's because it does.

The inside was delightfully kitschy.



The middle-aged woman who greeted me was very pleasant, though a woman of few words. There were a few other customers in the dinning area, all speaking what sounded to me to be Cantonese. This gave me confidence that the food might be less of a pandering-to-an-American-audience version of Chinese food.

I noticed when I was seated there were pictures under the table top of the menu items. I ordered the item that looked the lightest from the picture, the Singapore chow mei fun. It was also marked as hot and spicy which excited me.


Though I knew the chow mei fun would be more than enough food, I couldn't stop myself from ordering an item from the 'dim sum' menu. A sort of a-la-cart compact dish. The options all looked exotic an interesting, but I ended up choosing a menu item with ingredients I was familiar with. 



The chow mei fun arrived first. It was a heaping platter of what tasted to me like rice vermicelli with potato sprouts, green onions, eggs, and to my shagrin, a couple of kinds of red meat. So much for my 'light' meal. I knew once I started eating this heap of noodles there was no way I'd be finishing it.

Oh, also, I was provided with a fork to eat with, nothing else. I can't remember the last time I ate Chinese food without chopsticks. It felt foreign, almost like I forgot how use a fork.


It was then that my dim sum item arrived, shrimp, leek dumpling.


Check out this massive amount of food. I sure wish I had someone there to share this with. I felt overwhelmed.


The inside of the dumpling.


A trepidatious bite for the girl that never eats fried food!


There was a loud-ish Chinese (from the sound of the background music) soap opera playing on the TV. The woman helping me was very entertained by it. I heard her chuckle several times.


The amount of food left was a lot, and worked well for my dinner.


I sort of feel like the fortune cookie gods knew about my adventure trek I'm on.


Though I don't think I could eat here more than once or twice a year with my particular palate, the food was really delicious, and different. I believe the food to be the kind you'd actually find in China in a gourmet restaurant. Though my credibility with that claim is weak, as I've never been to China. The dishes on the menu were varied and interesting. Also it's tucked away a bit, and you'd need someone to tell you it's good before you'd probably try it. If you're a Chinese food lover, this is definitely worth the 5 minute drive south of downtown.

Time spent on adventure: 30 minutes
Money spent: $10.60 (with tip)
Recommendation: 7 out of 10 adventure points!

Comments

Popular Posts