Adventure 15: Ensign Peak

Ensign peak is a hike I frequent. This is an adventure because, well first of all it snowed last night! There were still patches of snow throughout the trail. Second, for the first time ever, I stopped to read the plaques at the trail head. This trail really has a beautiful history. And third, the sky was amazing. I was drinking the clouds for breakfast. This post took me forever, because I had to filter through 50 photos!


Many people in the area know about this hike. It's the one behind the capital! What you may not know, according to the Mormon movement leader and Prophet, Brigham Young is, this peak is one Mormon founder, Joseph Smith revealed to him in a dream as a marker to recognize "Zion." When Young spotted the peak at the other end of the valley coming out of Immigration Canyon, he said the famous words, "This is the right place." I just learned that nugget myself from one of the plaques at the trail head.


This plaque was originally placed at the top of the peak in 1934, but was stolen. Later recovered at a scrap yard, it now sits safely at the base of the trail.


The hike begins! I love when trees are green with a highlight of red. I went through that phase too, in my 20's. I liked a little splash of pink in my hair.


This hike is short, it took me about 10 minutes to get to the top. But it's steep, and there are several opening of a view along the way that allows you to just enjoy the valley. And the SKY! Check out that sky. Yes, those are snow patches at the bottom.


My favorite part was the fresh smell of herbs and flora that seemed to be awakened by the moisture on the ground.


Another remnant from the precipitation were some delightful muddy patches of trial. This particular spot that was narrow and steep, and was a slippery mess to climb. 


Almost to the top, but here's a little spot to enjoy the west side of the valley, and the Great Salt Lake. I was just submerged in that body of water a few days ago. I felt a little nostalgic.


The peak!



Snowy capped mountains!



Downtown SLC.



I lived in the Avenues for about 4 years. For a while I had a regular routine in the early morning hours. I'd hiking Ensign Peak, then find a rock on which to meditate, and sometimes do some yoga moves. I took a few deep breaths sitting half lotus for old times sake.

I'd like a few snaps for taking pictures of myself sans any make up. It's for you dear readers, I do it all for you.


I couldn't do a full lotus because, well... the mud.


Behind me were these beautiful rolling clouds snowing on the far peaks. 


One last shot by the tower before heading back.



I couldn't resist posting this accidental shot. I love a good surprise on my camera roll when uploading to my laptop. You can almost see the dust I'm kicking up, er... the mud slide marks on the trail behind from my speed!


Across the street from the trail head is this sweet little park with a few more plaques explaining the importance of Brigham Young's founding of this great Salt Lake City.





 The wet ground and lush greenery made me feel like I was in Portland again. Quite lovely.



Time spent on adventure: 45 mintues
Money Spent: $0
Recommendation: 8 out of 10 adventure points!


Comments

Popular Posts