Adventure 85: The Reverend Horton Heat at The Depot

My friend Brant recently introduced me to the rockabilly band 'The Reverend Horton Heat.' 

Shortly after this concert, I realized they're pretty well known. Because everyone I mentioned it to in my voice that sounded like a question, it: "oh this weekend? I saw this band called The Reverend Horton Hears a  Who?" which always brought the response with the correct name, and total recognition of them being a rockabilly band. So, I'm out of touch, turns out.


Also, the last time I was in The Depot was probably eight years ago when I was entrenched in the local music scene, and I was so happy to have such a large venue in the city. Coming back, the place didn't have quite the same power over me.



The opening band, Old Man Markley was great! So much fun. It's a large band with a half-dozen members, with a variety of old blue-grass instruments with a sound that is bluegrass with a slightly modern tone. I enjoyed their whole set. 


My favorite part: the lead singer wore an ear to ear smile the whole time. I couldn't resist being charmed by him.


However, it seemed most people were inpatient for the main attraction, and didn't seem to enjoy the opening act as much as I did.


The wait time between shows allowed for some people watching. There was definitely no shortage of tattooed skin, and rockabilly hair!


Then the show began. The crowd totally dug everything they did. Loyal fans.


Their show had some very choreographed colorful lighting going on.



So, near the end of the show, this guy came out. Apparently he's a big name in the punk scene. He sang a few songs that belonged to the band, and a few of his own. It was Jello Biafra. It was pretty entertaining to see the crowd react to his music.


It was a little odd seeing a man in his 50s? going crazy and dancing like a mad man. I mean, punk stars a welcomed to age in my book, but should maybe switch to the continental when dancing on stage? I just like to see my older men classy, call me old fashioned. Also, I'd love if every man could dance like Fred Astaire. I don't think I'm asking for too much.


The handsome and charming Brant who provided this evening of music, fun and entertainment!


Time spent on adventure: 3 hours
Money spent: $0 (thanks to Brant)
Recommendation: 6 out of 10 adventure points (probably because standing for three hours straight isn't as fun as it was in my 20s)

Comments

Popular Posts