Adventure 88: Salt Lake Vintage Flea Market

Confession: I don't think I knew what a flea market was before this adventure. My friend Travis and I were doing a day of DI and Restore shops shopping, when we spotted a sign pointing to a flea market. Well, of course I had to check it out, and Travis was nice enough to indulge me.


I love an eye catching sign.


... and an entrance that suggests artisans might be inside.


The market is only open on Saturday and Sundays with an occasional mid-week auction. The first thing that caught my eye was the old-timey display of jewelry on the front counter. Lovely.


Even the jewelry boxes drew me in. I have one very similar to the white one that was my grandmother's. I just need an old photograph of a handsome man to put in mine. I'm always charmed by old photos of handsome men.


Travis found his niche with this section filled with vintage electronics.


Actually, he already owned most of what was here.


I LOVE the kitschy umbrellas that were scattered among the goods. I want one in my house.

 

I know a couple friends who would love to scavenger through these records. There were even some 8-tracks.



Someone wants to sell their collection of presidential mini-busts? What?


There's something about being in a flea market... seeing this vintage wine rack made me think I could find a use for it. Even though I don't drink wine, nor will I ever collect it. I had to talk myself out of it.


Awesome chandelier. let's get a closer look...



This is Mary Daniels. She used to have a boutique: "Faynes Fantasies Boutique." She's been around the SLC independent vendor scene for quite some time. She helped start the Utah Arts Festival, Ethnic Village, Hispanic Festival, Farmer's Market, Juneteenth Heritage Festival, Avenues Street Festival, 9th and 9th Street Festival, and now she can be found here, at the weekend Flea Market. She's lovely.


She has some fetching pieces for sale. I quite liked the jewelry on display.


Looking through some old issues of Life magazine held real treasures, like these pictures of dancers who skated at night clubs in NYC... you know those type of clubs in NYC in the 50's that had beautiful women dancing? These ones were on ice. If you didn't pick up on my subtle hint, they were suggestive dancers... on ice! I can only imagine what a show this would have been!


Time spent on adventure: 1 hour
Money spent: $0
Recommendation: 8 out of 10 adventure points!

Comments

Popular Posts