Adventure 78: The Adventure of the Storage Unit

I recently moved, and to a much smaller living space. This necessitated the rental of a storage unit. I have never gotten a storage unit before. Getting one in the middle of this cold winter seemed like a perfect adventure to tick off my list.


I had set an appointment with the property manager at a nearby storage unit facility to look at a unit. I thought I asked him if there was an office to meet him at, but turns out he wanted me to meet him on the side of a road. This storage unit was located on a very busy road in Salt Lake City, with fairly heavy traffic whizzing by at 50 mph. I originally tried to park in a parking lot behind the storage unit, but it was not plowed, and there was no foot access from the parking lot to the units, so I drove further down the road, found the parking lot of a trucking company, and walked back to the units.


I was not prepared for this walk with my non water-proof heeled boots. It was a bit of struggle walking the block and a half on the road.


Yeah, the road. Because there was no sidewalk.


I called the manager, he had not left yet, so I waited in front of the designated area looking into this gate wondering how I could unload a truck full of furniture in the unplowed lot.


When he showed up, and I got to walk through this awesome mess of snow! We walked through the fence to the unit, which was big. He didn't have the smaller size available that I wanted, so he agreed to charge me the lower rate for the larger unit. Score! "I'll take it," said I.


He gave me a contract to fill out, and left to run to the office for the key to the gate. After filling out the form and waiting for a good 15 minutes in the cold, wet snow melting through my boots, I decided to walk back to my car where it was at least out of the wind.


Luckily I saw his truck approach not long after I started back, and was in business! Also, turns out, the lot was supposed to be plowed regularly, so he would get someone on that today. 

I walked the cold wet walk back to my car totally satisfied with our transaction, even if I had to tough it a little bit. I mean I got a 35% discount on my storage unit. Done.

Time spent on adventure: 45 minutes
Money spent: $65 
Recommendation: 7 out of 10 adventure points (everyone should know the experience of getting a rental unit at least once)

Comments

Popular Posts