Adventure 82: Osaka

So I was in Provo, and after being turned away by a Vietnamese restaurant on Center street, I found my way to Osaka. I'm convinced it was an upgrade.


I love walking into a restaurant and being introduced, or submerged? into the world the food comes from. Osaka did not disappoint.


The restaurant had robust seating, but it was just me and this table of young marreid, seemingly BYU students who were talking about their bright future. One young man waxed sweetly of his first corporate job he recently landed.


The menu was simple with limited selection, which I love.


I ordered a couple of rolls, and waited in the silence that was punctuated by the hushed voices of the table of 20-somethings who spoke words clear to understand despite their attempts to keep it down. It gave me a chance to look around a little more. Though some of the furniture was clearly cheaply made, the overall affect I found quite pleasing.


I was brought this delicious soup. I love when soup is served in a bowl small enough for me to hold in my hands and drink up.


Next, came this salad. I have to admit, I was not impressed by the simple appearance of the contents of this small bowl. However, the dressing (not thousand island as it may appear) was delicious. The simpleness of the shredded lettuce with the dressing was delightful.


Next came the rolls. These looked like nothing I had seen. So simple. So small. These rolls had about half the amount of rice of any sushi roll I had eaten, not to mention a small fraction of the rice found in the scary rolls of Midori Sushi.

Just like the tone set from the soup and salad, these rolls had only a couple of flavors per roll. There was little competition in my mouth. The simplicity was divine! The word that kept coming to me as I ate was, 'no presumption.' These rolls weren't trying to hard. It was as if they were saying to me with each bite, we come from Japan, the country of simple elegance. Take us for what we are. Once I got over the creepy factor of eating something that was talking to me, I dug it. Another benefit of these small rolls: I left feeling satiated, not full. Loved it.


Time spent on adventure: 45 minutes
Money spent: $16.20 (including tip)
Recommendation: 9 out of 10 adventure points!

Comments

Popular Posts