Adventure 80: Utah County Health Building

I was recently required to track down my old immunization records. Records that I hadn't thought about in a decade at least. Well, this required me to take a trip down to the Utah County Health Building. The last time I was here, it was the turn of the century, and a much older building stood in it's place. I knew visiting the new and improved building would be an adventure. But I didn't anticipate the strong upheaval of nostalgia that followed.


Upon entering there was a very nice sherif nearby who poked his head out of an office and asked if I knew where I was going. When he discovered where I needed to go, he pointed me down this hall with local art for sale lining the walls.


When I found the right office (after a few wrong attempts) I just needed to wait while the young woman behind the computer looked up my records. Since they were so old, it would be a bit of a wait. Thanks for that. While I waited, there were some interesting visual queues that left me pondering. One point my mind dwelled on for example, was the many major infections in the world, and where they originated.


Another ponder point, and this is where the nostalgia comes in, how light-headed and nauseating looking at posters like this used to instantly make me as a child. I actually almost felt those feelings returning. Something about the fake wood door and the school-nurse-like poster hung on it made me feel like I was traveling back in time.


I also pondered who the woman was who had decorative "TB" wood letters (the type of letters that are so popular with Utah house-wives) on her office wall under the Santa clock. It actually disturbed me a little bit.


Well, after my short wait, the young woman had my record printed out, handed it to me, and I was on my way!

Also, you may have heard about the old Provo tabernacle which is in process of being converted into the newest LDS temple, but it is quite the site to happen upon when driving through the old part of Provo. It's gutted, on stilts, and completely stunning.


Time spent on adventure: 2.5 hours (including drive time from SLC)
Money spent: $0
Recommendation: 3 Um.... hard to recommend a trip like this, but if you're in the area, why not?

Comments

Popular Posts