Adventure 73: Odyssey Dance Theatre's Redux Nut-Cracker

This adventure is brought to you by my friend Patrick, who suggested it as a very apropos Christmas adventure, and provided it. I'm so glad he did, it was so fun, and a Christmas first for me! 

This show at the University of Utah's Kingsbury Hall called "Redux Nut-Cracker" is a delight. Tomorrow's the closing night, so you still have one more day to catch it! I recommend you do so.

My phone battery died just as we arrived, so I was grateful Patrick was able to snap a few shots I could use for this adventure!


Such a beautiful night for a Christmas event!




This was my first time inside Kingsbury Hall. I was struck by the beautiful red curtain and matching red seats, that, if I'm not mistaken have a half-inch or so more leg room than the Capital Theater.

There are some fanciful paintings on the walls too.


So, this is the nutcracker like you've never seen it. The bright-eyed Clara character was a moody, hip-hop dancing teenager. She was even dressed in a gothic-hip hop style with balloon pants and everything!

One of my favorite Nutcracker sequences of the wind up doll and soldier turned into a wind up doll dancing with a ninja turtle. Fantastic.



The gift of a nutcracker not being cool enough for our heroine, her crazy uncle gave her as a second gift an iPhone, which was magical and allowed her to create all sorts of delights. Including, giant robot men to fight off the rats (who were very cool hip-hop rats).

There were several different styles of dance incorporated throughout the evening. By far my favorite was seeing tiny "Marios" and "Luigis" come out of a cloud with a Nintendo turtle on it to do the "skirt dance." The tiny dancers looked like gymnast coming out jumping high just like the video game characters. They were adorable, and so good!



Time spent on adventure: 2 hours
Money spent: $0 (thanks to Patrick, check their website for prices for tomorrows show!)
Recommendation: 9 out of 10 adventure points!

Comments

Popular Posts